Wednesday, September 17, 2008

i've been meaning to do this forever...

but i always kidded myself that i was too busy. truth is, you're never too busy to copy down a couple thoughts now and then. to top that off, i'm at a crazy time in my life right now - a real crossroads. I am, ME, BETH, a mother of a SENIOR in high school. how is that possible? i'm not old enough for that. no way. maybe writing it all down will help.

so i listen to music this evening to soothe me - and realize its the lullabyes of my youth (thank you Diane :) ). and it occurs to me - i AM old enough. because the lullabyes of my toddler years do not consist of Michael Bolton, or Richard Marx or even Air Supply. it was James Taylor (i realize as i sit here and my Pandora plays he and Carly's 'You Can Close Your Eyes'), Van Morrison, old Elton John, America, Jim Croce, Simon & Garfunkel...........i could go on for paragraphs.

so ya - i'm old enough to be the mom of this big man that clomps up and down the stairs, as he heads to movies with friends, or off to school, or back from extracurriculars, or even to take a private phone call. right now, he's up to his eyelids registering for college entrance exams (the prices have gone up!), studying hard, talking to college reps, going to college fairs, applying for every scholarship known to man, and trying to fit it all into his busy days.

so - this blog is born. born of a mom of a college-bound kid (what?!) who can take care of so much himself and still needs me for a few big (and a couple little) things. he's the greatest kid - my friend - and my favorite person out there. he makes mike and i proud to call him 'ours' and we know we wouldnt be 'we' without him.

sometimes - he even likes us back. and those days are awesome.

van morrison is playing now.... *smiles*....

"We were born before the wind
Also younger than the sun
Ere the bonnie boat was won
as we sailed into the mystic

Hark, now hear the sailors cry
Smell the sea and feel the sky

Let your soul and spirit fly
into the mystic."


a memory from back in the day... before the big senior arrived that i see in the hall.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

hooray! you have a blog! it's fun to peek into each others lives. miss you!

(i can't believe little Michael is preparing for college!)

Michelle said...

Welcome to the blogging world! I was so excited to hear from you and hope that everyone is doing great! Can't wait to hear more from Cleveland...love you!!!!!!!!!

Diane said...

YAY!
My sista's bloggin!
I love it! This will be fun!
Nice first entry....looking forward to the next one.
Hugs to you...and your guys...
D.